Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Wrestling with the Tough Stuff in our Lives

          Throughout my life there have been numerous times when my temper has gotten the best of me.  I have always known that my Irish blood runs deep and many times that leads to a short fuse and a temper that is difficult to control.  I would like to say that through the years, my temper has subsided and “gets the better of me less,” but the opposite is true.  As a Christian, I have found that as we attempt to get certain areas “under control” the enemy tempts us even more in those areas.  Rather than finding ourselves gaining more control of those areas, with God’s help, we find ourselves struggling more and more with these issues.  As I was recently reflecting upon this issue in my life, a couple of situations arose that made me examine this area more closely. 

            The first situation took place this past weekend with one of our youth volunteers.  We held our annual senior high overnighter which included a variety of fun games, food, and fellowship.  As we started the evening we went to see a movie and then traveled to play laser tag at a local business.  We all had a great time until we came out of the laser tag building to find that one of our volunteers had her car window smashed in and someone had broken into to her car.  While they didn’t take anything and nothing other than the window was damaged, I found myself thinking about the level of frustration that she must be feeling towards whoever would have done this to her car.  I thought about the fact that she would have to file a police report, deal with her insurance company, and ultimately get the window fixed.  Needless to say, I found myself growing upset with the situation but as we talked with her, her demeanor never changed.  She simply smiled, said it was alright, and didn’t really seem fazed by the situation.  I found myself questioning my own temper at this time as she was dealing with an inconvenience yet she simply smiled about it and was willing to handle with a calm spirit.  After thinking about her response (as this was an overnighter so I had about six more hours to think about it), I realized the need to keep my anger in check and work to have a similar attitude to this wonderful volunteer.

            The second situation took place during our weekend worship experiences this past Sunday.  As we have been journeying through the Lenten season, our worship experiences have focused on different prayers and practices to draw us closer to the heart of God.  This past Sunday we focused on the labyrinth and actually had our labyrinth out for people to walk through as a part of the sermon.  As the time came in the sermon for people to walk through I was fine sitting and watching people walk through it, but then one of our students asked me to come with him and walk through it.  As I found myself traveling through the turns of the labyrinth I found myself sensing the Spirit of God who was calming my anxious heart and fears.  It was an amazing time as several members of our congregation were traveling through this experience together.  As we finished I felt refreshed and ready for the next piece of my morning but God wasn’t done reminding me of the need for a peaceful and calm spirit.  As I returned to my seat I found an individual sitting near me who I knew was going through a challenging season in their life.  As we finishing with our closing song, one of our pastor’s came back to the stage to offer the benediction and then something even more amazing happened.  I found myself reading the prayer on the screen with our pastor only to see out of the corner of my eye this struggling person lifting their hands to God and their eyes closed.  This simple act of reverence reminded me of the need to have a calm spirit and allow God to work.

            As I was thinking about these two scenarios that happened this weekend reminding me of my struggle with my temper, I began thinking about the Easter season.  I was reminded of the events that happened in the garden as Jesus was arrested and Peter became so upset that he sliced off an ear of one of the soldiers.  His temper got the best of him, although this wasn’t the only time that we see this with Peter, and he was a disciple of Jesus! 

Please understand that I am not saying that Peter’s actions justify our anger but it does remind me that we all have our own struggles specific to us.  We each face different scenarios and issues daily but how we respond to them rests solely on our shoulders.  So as you look at your life today are you focused upon the peace that comes from Christ or is some other issue/situation running your life?  If you are struggling with something today I challenge you to reflect upon the words that Paul wrote to the church at Philippi, “Don’t worry about anything, but in everything through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in minds in Christ Jesus.  Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable-if there is any moral excellence and if there is any praise-dwell on these things.  Do what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you” (Philippians 4:6-9).

No comments:

Post a Comment