Wednesday, March 6, 2013

There is No I But There is a Me!

          As a small child I often times remember the various teams that I was a part of, many of them being sports related.  I always remember our coaches working diligently to have us discover our gifts/talents and how we could best use them to make our team better.  I would like to say that this was because the coaches valued us as individuals and desired to see us succeed but honestly for many it was simply to another “W” to the win/loss column.  They wanted to look good, so that meant we had to as well.

            One of the things that I remember most from these experiences was not the success of our teams, but often wrestling with my own feelings of inadequacy.  I was never the tallest, most athletic or gifted person on the field but I did always try to give 100% percent.  Despite my efforts I was often rewarded with time in the dugout or on the bench rather than playing in the game.  One day I remember I worked up the courage to ask my coach why I wasn’t playing as much as I would like.  I anticipated one answer however the response was something different entirely.  He looked back at me and told me that the reason I wasn’t playing as much as I would like was because there were simply other people more talented that I was.  I mustered up all of the courage that I could and said, “But coach there is no I in the word team!”  His response has stuck with me all these years later when he looked back at me and said “no but there is a me and they are better than you.”

            Talk about a shift punch to the gut!  These words have stuck with me for several years and affected my understanding of a team.  I developed the belief that I would (and could) do anything that I set my mind to and I could do it by myself.  I believed that my ideas were the best and the only ideas to be considered, not to mention the fact that I was the only one who could actually achieve the plans that were laid out.  I lived my life like this for several years striving to be the best at everything that I tried and found that by pushing myself I was indeed better.  I was getting better grades (while I was in school), having more success, and feeling better about myself.  That was until I stopped, looked around, and realized that by living this way I had completely isolated myself from those who were close to me.  At this point I knew that I had a problem and needed to change my approach to projects, leadership, and life in general.

            Now fast-forward to the present, more specifically this past Sunday evening.  Every summer our church takes a group of students and adults to various locations to do service projects for those who are less fortunate and have need as a part of our mission trip.  This has been something that has been a part of churches history for over 25 years now.  As we prepare for our summer trip, which preparation starts in September, we find ourselves excited about the possibilities but want to make sure that everyone is on the same page.  This is why we do a variety of fundraising and service projects throughout the course of the year to bring our team closer together.  This past Sunday evening however, we tried a different approach by providing the opportunity to do several team building exercises with other members of the team which was extremely well received.  After the event I found myself thinking through the need to develop teams and work within them and came away with a few thoughts that I wanted to share with you in response to my coach’s statement of “There may not be an I in team but there is a me!”

            First, we are only as successful as the team we work with.  I have found that by surrounding myself with people who having differing views, a variety of ideas can emerge.  You can then evaluate them together and implement them with a team having a great deal of success.

            Second, if you are the primary leader of the team, develop a willingness to share the compliments/accomplishments and absorb the criticism.  I have found that a team is more likely to continue to work with you if you compliment them frequently and deflect the accomplishments from your own ego onto them, especially if you can highlight one or two people specifically. 

            Third, give and serve your team sacrificially.  I found this to be true just this week as our family purchased gift cards to give to some wonderful volunteers.  They reluctantly accepted them but then offered to take our family out to eat with them or even just to give them back because they “didn’t serve expecting anything in return.”  Their willingness to serve sacrificially demonstrates not only their hearts but the workings of a good team.

            As I continue to grow and develop as a leader I discover new things almost every day.  Through my experience I have discovered that it is a whole lot better to be successful and have a team to celebrate with you!  What benefits and failures have you found from seeking to develop teams?

No comments:

Post a Comment