Wednesday, April 3, 2013

So Now What?

          The experiences of the Lenten season including Holy Week and Easter have always amazed me.  It seems that every year God does something truly remarkable in my heart to remind me of the depth of His love for me as His child.  We journey through the forty days of Lent starting with Ash Wednesday by examining our hearts to see the sin in our lives.  For some this marks the start of “giving up” something to focus more intently upon the God who created them so uniquely.  We then travel the road by searching our hearts, discovering more about God, and deepening our faith through the next several days. 

            At the conclusion of the Lenten season we reach a time that has fascinated me for the past several years because of the interactions and dialogues that take place.  As we reach Maundy Thursday we reflect upon Jesus breaking bread with His disciples for the last time and then serving in the purest form by washing the feet of the disciples.  What has amazed me about this exchange is that Jesus serves (both food and through His actions) all of the disciples including Judas, who would betray Him in just a few hours.  I have often wondered how I would respond if I were in this situation.  How many times do we choose to turn away or serve with the wrong intentions because of a past hurt or exchange with someone?  If we knew that something terrible was about to happen would that change our outlook of serving to one of ignoring that person or situation?  I have to admit that several times I have wondered how I would respond if I were in that room with Jesus and the truth is I don’t really have an answer yet.

            Next we move to Good Friday, where we see Jesus arrested, beaten, denied, and eventually crucified.   This entire exchange has shocked me because someone who Jesus trusted and taught betrayed him into the hands of the soldiers.  The other disciples abandoned Him in His time of greatest need and Peter, who vowed to never leave the side of Jesus several times, denies Him three times.  As almost everyone who had followed Jesus during the past three years walked away from Him, He chose to subject His body to several horrible beatings and eventually death on a cross.  I have often wondered what the soldiers who beat and eventually crucified Jesus were thinking.  Did they ever stop to question why He didn’t resist?  Did they ever question why there was so much hatred towards this one man?  Did they ever take a step back to think about the potential repercussions of their actions?  As I have reflected upon these questions I have wondered about my own life.  How many times have I verbally acknowledged that I desire to follow Christ, yet turn away from Him in moments of difficulty?  How many times have I taught one thing about God’s love yet done something entirely different with my words or actions?  How could Jesus still love me, despite the number of times that I have sinned?  Despite my own limited understanding, I do know that God unconditionally loves me, cares for me, and desires to see me live a life focused towards Him.

            After Jesus’ crucifixion I imagine the next couple of days felt like an eternity.  This man, who had proclaimed that He was the Son of God, was gone.  He was lowered from the cross, placed in a tomb, and left to decay like every other human being.  This man who had walked the earth, performed numerous miracles, and taught people about the true meaning of life had just left the picture entirely.  Those days must have been filled with questions, doubts, and uncertainties surrounding what Jesus had taught and lived.  I’m sure that the disciples sat around wondering how a man that they loved so much and who taught them amazing things was suddenly gone from their presence.  As I have thought about these experiences in my own life, how many times do we question or doubt what God has taught us?  Doubts and questions have often times lead to the greatest amount of growth in my spiritual life.  Doubts and questions should not be discouraged but rather encouraged as we move along our journey of faith.  How many times do we sit waiting for God to respond, when He has already paved the way for our lives, but we are too afraid to follow?  As you examine your life today, how do you respond to waiting?  Do you sit back and wait for God to make everything crystal clear or do you step out in faith, climbing the staircase step-by-step as it is being built?

            After these various events we arrive at the culmination of our Lenten journey with Easter.  This wonderful day is one full of celebration, smiles, and joy that Jesus rose from the dead.  We rejoice on this day, celebrate with corporate worship (with several people that are desperate for a connection with God), and delight in the promises of God being fulfilled.  This glorious day is one where we are reminded that God can take any tragedy in our lives and turn it into a triumph.  This wonderful day came at a price though, of one man laying down His life, bearing all of our sins, so that we could one day live in paradise with Him.

            After journeying through the Lenten season we are often filled with joy and reminded of the love that Jesus expressed for us on the cross.  But then we move into another week with the same problems that existed before.  Where are the promises of God then?  Where is that reminder that what we celebrated just a few days earlier with the resurrection of Jesus from the tomb in our lives?  Have you ever felt that way?  Have you ever asked the question, “So Now What, God?”  We need to remember that the disciples were not simply trained overnight.  The church (meaning us, not the building) was not built in a matter of minutes, but rather over a great deal of time, sacrifice, and suffering.  Our journey doesn’t end with Easter but rather continues on throughout the remainder of our lives as we grow towards being a more devoted disciple of Christ.  What opportunities are presenting themselves for you to grow in your faith following Easter?  What opportunities are arising that may stretch you to deepen your faith?  What are the opportunities for you to experience a resurrection in your own lives today?

No comments:

Post a Comment