Thursday, January 24, 2013

Bending Without Breaking

            Have you ever had one of those moments where you stop, look up to heaven and ask God what else could happen to you?  I think if we are all honest we have all had these moments.  Those moments in our lives where every situation we face seems to be a difficult and compounding way of doing life, to the point where we feel like we are going to break. 

            Throughout my own personal life, I have had several of these moments where I wonder what else could possibly happen in my life.  There always seem to be one more thing and the sad part is that the “one more thing” wouldn’t be so bad if it weren’t compounded with everything else.  In those moments of despair I remember a few of my companions in college who loved to quote the phrase “If God brought you to it, He will bring you through it.”  I have to admit that when I heard this phrase in the midst of a struggle I wasn’t really reassured; in fact I became upset because of the complexity of what I was dealing with.  But the fact remained that if God only gave me what I could handle it would minimize my need for a personal relationship with Him.

            I recently encountered one of these situations with our family.  As many of you are aware, we moved out of a rental house the week before Christmas anticipating that we would be in our own house the following day.  However, the deal fell through and we were left without a home for the entire week of Christmas.  Since then we have been living in an apartment and diligently working on getting into the house of our dreams.  There have been a few speed bumps along the way, but it looks like we should be able to move into our new home on February 1st.  But before we were aware of our housing situation being resolved (just last week) I was driving home only to find that our steering, brakes, and really everything else on my car went out.  Somehow, simply a miracle, I was able to coast into a local grocery store (actually a parking spot) safely.  I remember thinking it was a small problem that I could fix however I quickly realized that was not the case and had to have our car towed.  Initially the repair shop told me it would be about $200.00 and could be ready the next day so I left the car there overnight.  But upon further inspection they found that the timing belt had broken, the water pump needed replaced, and the power steering unit was leaking.  Needless to say it was a costly repair but we were able to get it fixed.  Shortly after picking up the car a couple of days later, it broke down again because a wire was not properly grounded when the repairs were done.  As I sat on the side of the road again, with my son in the backseat I found myself asking God what else could go wrong.  My entire life was upside down as I was without a car, without a house (at least one with our stuff in it), and feeling frustrated.  As I was dealing with all of these feelings, my son small voice piped up in the back seat and said, “Daddy, it’s alright, everything will be alright.”  Tears began to fill my eyes as this small child understood the need for consoling his father when everything around him seemed to be falling apart.  At that moment I remembered the words of my wife who said, “God has always been faithful to us, so why would that change now?”  God has indeed been faithful to our family through several trying situations but the fact remains that He still loves us, cares for us and provides for us through everything.  Those gentle reminders continue to push me through the daily challenges that I face because it is a reminder that God loves me and cares for me, even in the midst of the chaos.

            So in the midst of your challenges do you feel like God is with you, guiding your path or like He has deserted you completely?  The truth is that, He is right beside you waiting for you to lean into His arms and depend upon His faithfulness.  By doing this you will find that your situations will work for the good and solutions will be reached.  God is indeed faithful and will guide you if you let Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment