Friday, November 16, 2012

Why Do Bad Things Happen To Good People?

          This past week our students concluded their series entitled, Doubt.  This series examines the fact that we can allow our questions about our faith to actually drive us closer to God rather than farther away.  Having doubts and questions are a normal part of faith formation and this series encourages our students to wrestle with those questions as they seek to make their faith their own.

At the conclusion of our evenings students gather in small groups to discuss the theme of the night in a personal manner that directly connects the theme/Scripture to their hearts.  This past week, one small group conversation took an interesting turn when I entered the room.  Upon walking in one of the teenage girls in the group asked me why we hadn’t answered her question, which we came to find out was “Why do bad things happen to good people?”  This is a question that many of us have wrestled with throughout our faith journey.  We left that night with a little resolution but there was still a healthy amount of tension surrounding this conversation.  Throughout this week, I have thought about the effect that this question has had on my own faith journey.  Last evening, it particularly rang true when I woke up around 2:00 am and couldn’t go back to sleep.  I found myself tossing and turning but when I couldn’t go back to sleep I turned to Facebook and Twitter to find some consolation.  I found myself reading about a dear friend of mine who is striving to “finish well” in his life as he battles brain cancer.

Stan Buck has always been an inspiration to me as a man of faith.  He has invested in countless lives through his ministry all the while being one of the most humble men that I have ever met.  Stan started a church in Fort Wayne, Indiana twenty-five years ago and is still the lead pastor there today.  He has taken this amazing church through several challenges times while seeking to be faithful to God’s leadership for this church.  Stan and I first really connected when I was taking a class towards my Master’s degree at Indiana Wesleyan University.  We realized that we were close to each other (about 20 minutes apart in separate churches) and developed a wonderful friendship that served as the start of our friendship.  Shortly after this class finished I found myself unemployed, doubting God, and searching for answers.  My wife and I ended up living with my in-laws and struggling to pay our bills each month.  I found myself becoming bitter, angry, and irritated at God during this time, however it turned out this is exactly where I needed to be.  A couple of weeks after moving in with my in-laws we decided to try this church across the street that we had heard good things about and attempt to turn our lives around.  We found ourselves walking into the church where Stan was the pastor and our lives were drastically altered.  Through their worship, friendship, and personal counseling I found my heart beginning to be softened instead of stirring the hurt that had lived in my heart for the past few months.  I found myself being consoled by a pastor, Stan, who didn’t simply talk about grace, love, and forgiveness but sought to embody them in his everyday life.  We found ourselves connecting with God and growing in our faith despite the hurt that we had suffered.  Stan demonstrated the love of Christ in the purest form as a humble servant who desired to give everything he had to serve God. 

Stan has become a wonderful friend throughout my ministry journey by encouraging, loving, and supporting us several times.  However, as he is ending his fight with cancer, I see a man who touched so many lives, exemplified the humble spirit of God, and did truly finish well in his life.  Stan you are a wonderful man of God who has forever altered my life and I am thankful for the privilege I had to call you my friend.  Please join with me in prayer for Stan, his wife Kathy, daughters Stephanie & Ashley (and their families), and Sonrise Church during this time as we celebrate Stan finishing well!

No comments:

Post a Comment