Sunday, November 25, 2012

Stepping Stones

          The holiday season has always been something that has amazed me, but probably not for the reasons that you may think.  Sure, there is the rejoicing that takes place during Thanksgiving, the chaos of Black Friday, and the anticipation of Christmas morning that all fall during this time span, but the amazement for me always hits in another way.  I am always amazed at how much more the hearts of people are open during the Christmas season.  We give more to others, help the less fortunate, and are willing to help those in need more.  This has always been something about the Christmas season that has amazed me.  As Christians, we are called to embrace this attitude everyday but the world only seems to think that a span of 30 or so days is sufficient.  What would happen if our outlook changed and we starting embracing this call to love everyone, everyday rather than simply during the Christmas season? 

This thought has been creeping around in the back of my mind for some time now, but after the events of Thanksgiving weekend and a sermon I heard this morning, I wanted to share a little with you.  You see this morning one of our pastors preached a sermon about people being “stepping stones” in our lives.  These are people who help us move from “wandering” to “having a life of plenty.”  These people impact our lives and forever alter the course of our life in a more positive direction.

This past week/weekend I had three interactions with people who served as “stepping stones” in my life.  The first was a homeless man that we encountered at a Hardee’s on our trip to see family.  We noticed that he was hungry and could only afford a cup of coffee so we decided to purchase him a meal of his choosing from the menu.  He was so grateful and appreciative for a simple purchase that cost us at most $8.00.  He served as a “stepping stone” in my faith journey because he reminded me of the need to be open to helping those who are less fortunate and God’s desire for us to love everyone.  The other two “stepping stone” moments were with people who I have had an attachment to for several years.  The first was a pastor/mentor/friend who passed away a week ago.  Stan served as a mentor/friend to me and helped me discern God’s calling on my life.  I can honestly say that if it were not for his guidance/leadership/wisdom that I would not still be in ministry today.  He walked with our family during a challenging time, prayed for a healthy birth with our second daughter with us, and helped us gain a deeper understanding of God’s love for us through his preaching.  On Wednesday, I had the opportunity to go to his viewing to say one final goodbye to Stan and thank his family for the impact that he had on the life of our family.  I was amazed at the number of people who poured in, the remnants of his life that were on display for everyone to view, and more importantly with the stories that people shared about the impact that Stan had on their lives.  He was truly a genuine pastor who cared for others with the heart of God and his legacy will live on for many years to come.  Stan was a “stepping stone” in my faith journey. 

The last person who impacted me during this Thanksgiving weekend was our daughter Callie Grace.  Callie was stillborn at thirty-three weeks and we only had a few moments to hold her which we cherish to this day.  We love our little girl that is in heaven watching over us every day.  When I went to the viewing for Stan, I decided that I would also visit the grave of our daughter because it was in the same town and we hadn’t been able to visit her grave for quite a while.  I found myself weeping uncontrollably as I approached her grave because I was reminded of the impact that this little girl had on my life.  Without ever saying a word or taking a breath outside of my wife’s womb she forever altered our paths.  She taught me about love as I realized how much I love that little girl, which was far beyond anything I had ever felt before.  She taught me that tears are alright and the fact that God will comfort you in your time of need.  Callie taught her stubborn father several lessons in the few moments that we had together and the five years that I have wondered what her life would be like today.  Callie Grace, you were a “stepping stone” in my journey of faith.

So I ask you to reflect upon who has been a “stepping stone” for you in your faith journey.  As you think about that person maybe you could reach out to them personally or their family if they have passed away to thank them for having such an impact on your life.  As we go through this holiday season may you thank God for the people who have been a “stepping stone” in your life and be that “stepping stone” for someone else who may need it more than you’ll ever know.

No comments:

Post a Comment