Friday, July 19, 2013

The Catalyst Leader: Eight Essentials for Becoming a Change Maker-Calling

          The concept of leadership is one of those themes in life that has always intrigued me.  I have loved exploring this theme through conversations with friends, classes, and debating the question, Are leaders born or made?  While I would not dare to venture to say that I am an expert on the topic of leadership, it is still something that I have been curious about throughout my life.  The most noticeable step that I took to pursue a deeper knowledge about leadership happened in 2008 when I began to pursue a graduate degree in ministerial leadership.  This program allows me to gain a deeper appreciation for what makes a leader and how to live into those items in my own life.

            Recently I purchased a book about leadership that assisted my understanding of leadership greatly.  The book is The Catalyst Leader by Brad Lomenick and through it he outlines eight essentials for becoming a change maker (or great leader).  Brad is the president and key visionary of Catalyst-a movement purposed to equip and inspire young Christian leaders through events, resources, consulting, and community.  If you would like to learn more about this amazing organization you can visit their website at http://catalystconference.com/.  Needless to say after working with countless young leaders and listening to the voices of several amazing leaders Brad has developed an understanding of some key qualities in the arena of leadership.

            Over the next eight weeks I will outline the essentials that Brad outlines in his book staring this week with the area of calling.  Have you ever taken a step back to think about why you do what you do?  Why are you in the job you have?  Why are you pursuing a certain degree (or if you haven’t graduated yet, the one you want to pursue)?  More than likely it is because you feel drawn or “called” to that area of work.  For me, I discovered my calling at sixteen to enter the field of youth ministry and impact the next generation.  While the techniques, curriculum, presentation, and a number of other things may have changed throughout the years, the fact remains that I still feel called to youth ministry.  There have been numerous situations that I have encountered through my years in ministry however, that feeling in the pit of my stomach to see teenagers encounter Jesus and equipping them for the transforming of the world hasn’t changed.

            As I write this our family is recovering from a week of Vacation Bible School where both my wife and I assisted this ministry.  Although we are exhausted, and more is to come with our Middle School Mission Week next week and reflecting back upon our High School trip earlier this month, it is one of the most amazing things to serve and see others encountering Jesus through our efforts.  While exhaustion can be cured with rest, my calling to ministry is something that hasn’t (and hopefully never will be quenched).  Author Seth Godin says it this way, “Instead of wondering what your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.”  Working with students excites me, encourages me, and makes me want to get out of bed each morning.  Their passion for life, their hunger for a deeper relationship with God, and their servant’s hearts let me know that I am doing exactly what God called me to do.

            So what about you?  Do you know what you are called to and more importantly are you striving to live into that calling?  To start exploring this process you need to develop a calling statement, which can be accomplished by asking the right questions which are crucial for discerning your calling.      

·       What are you passions and gifts?  At the intersection of these two elements, you’ll find your purpose in life.
·       What would you work on or want to do for free?  That is usually a good sign of what God has designed you to do.
·       What energized you when you were a child?  Does it still animate you?  Knowing your calling is often directly connected to childhood passion and gifts.
·       If you could do anything and take a pay cut, what would that be?  You may have to blow up your financial goals in order to pursue your true calling.
·       What barriers are preventing you from pursuing your true calling?  Can you begin removing those?
·       If you aren’t engaging your gifts and talents where you find yourself now, could you make changes in your current role to better engage those?  Don’t rule out the possibility that where you are is where you need to be.

After you have worked through these questions consider Brad’s words, “I suggest drafting a calling statement for your life.  Remember to write in pencil, not ink, as it may change over time.” (p. 21).  So as you go through this next week I challenge you to wrestle with what it is that God may be calling you too.  Perhaps you are already serving with your passion and gifts but if not I will be in prayer that you will have the courage to trust God and pursue this calling completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment