Wednesday, December 5, 2012

What Are You Really Saying?

          This past week our students started a continued in their series in conjunction with the season of Advent entitled, Advent Conspiracy.  Here is a snapshot of this series, “We all want our Christmas to be a lot of things. Full of joy. Memories. Happiness. Above all, we want it to be about Jesus. What we don't want is stress. Or debt. Or feeling like we "missed the moment". Advent Conspiracy is a movement designed to help us all slow down and experience a Christmas worth remembering. But doing this means doing things a little differently. A little creatively.  It means turning Christmas upside down.”

Each week includes a discussion question/point that our parents and their students are encouraged to wrestle through together.  The second week’s discussion questions read as follows, “As parents what does your approach to gift-giving at Christmas teach your children/students about worship?  What does it teach them about contentment?”

Gift-giving is a part the consumerist culture that surrounds the United States today.  A few days after Thanksgiving this year I was listening to the radio about a report of the damages done by Hurricane Sandy, which totaled about $20 billion to date.  This number astonished me because of the thought about everything that was lost and the number of families that were affected.  However, what shocked me even more was that in the next breath, the voice on the radio began talking about the spending of the United States on “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” this year.  Those figures combined totaled around $59.1 billion that we spent towards Christmas gifts for others and ourselves.  I found myself stopping and thinking about the message that we are sending to other countries about our spending but more importantly our children.  As a father, I always want to provide for my children and see them succeed in life; however what effect does my spending/gift-giving have on their understanding of worship and contentment?  Hearing these figures caused me to stop and question the message that I am sending.  I understand that I am only person and while I may not be able to change the attitude of our entire culture, as that would be one huge battle, I can change the attitude/behavior of my household. 

I was recently having a conversation with someone in our office about this theme and they told me a story about their children and something that had assisted in changing the culture in their home.  Their children looked forward to getting a special gift from their grandparents each year, however about five years ago the grandparents started to change the trend by purchasing an animal for a family in need around the world.  They would then give the children a stuffed animal representing the animal that was purchased.  At first, the children seemed a little discouraged by the gift but after gaining an understanding of why it was purchased and who it was helping, the attitude changed.  Each year now the children look forward to seeing what animal they will receive with the hope that one day that will have every animal that was on the ark with Noah!  This change in attitude came from one family’s decision to move in a different direction than the culture that we find ourselves surrounded by every day. 

So how does this play out in your home this Christmas season?  What does your approach to gift-giving teach your children/students about worship and contentment?  This past week we challenged our students to work diligently on finding (or making) that special gift that would show their parents and siblings just how much they love them.  As soon as the words left my lips you could see the wheels turning about what they could do and I’m sure that they will come up with some wonderful things for their families during this Christmas season.  Please understand that by “spending less” you do not love your family any less but rather seek to cultivate the relationship you have with them because of the time, energy, and planning that goes into finding or making that special gift for them. 

As for me, I am working on this in my own home this season to help my children understand that Christmas is about more than presents.  It is about worship of the birth of our Savior and contentment with what God has blessed us with.  Will you join me on this journey to help our children gain a better understanding of how our gift-giving can reflect an attitude of worship and contentment this holiday season?

No comments:

Post a Comment