Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Is Your GPS Broken?

          When I learned to drive at the age of fifteen I always hoped that I would be able to find my destination without getting lost.  I remember learning how to navigate a map because I was still learning to drive before GPS’s were everywhere.  There were a few times that I ended up lost, which is bound to happen, however today I would like to share one joyous experience that happened with my navigation skills.

            After my freshman year in college, I went to work at a church summer camp that I had fallen in love during my high school years.  This camp is very dear to my heart as I have several amazing memories of meeting new friends and having God work in my life there.  When the opportunity presented itself to work on staff at the camp I willingly jumped on board.  Being my first summer after a year of college I was still trying to get used to the whole “being an adult” thing which meant being away from my family most weekends.  One weekend in particular I was scheduled to work the entire weekend, which happened to coincide with our family reunion.  I remember having to tell my parents that I couldn’t be there, who were saddened that their “little boy” wouldn’t be joining them.  However, at the last minute on Friday afternoon our director informed me that we had done such a great job that week, that we could have the entire weekend off.  I became very excited as I thought about what an amazing surprise it would be for me to surprise my parents and the rest of my family at the reunion.  I quickly packed a bag, hopped in the car and drove to one of the few gas stations in town.  I bought an atlas and off I went, however shortly into the drive I realized that I didn’t know exactly where the reunion was, let alone how to get there.  I pulled off on an exit and thought up a plan of contacting another family member who informed me of the location of the hotel and the reunion which led me right back on the road.  A couple of hours later I found myself pulling into the hotel parking lot excited to see my family.  This experience taught me a couple things about driving, directions, and attempting to pull off surprises for other people.  First, I realized that even though my intentions were good about surprising my family, without the proper directions I couldn’t get there.  Second, at the first warning sign (not knowing where I was going); I needed to stop, get some advice, and turn around.  Thankfully since then directions have come pretty easily to me either through our GPS or my phone, but usually after one trip somewhere I can find my way back several times without any assistance.
 
            After thinking back to this story I recalled the number of times our lives are similar to this.  How many times to we get in the car, press the accelerator without any idea of where we are going?  How many times to we ignore the warning or caution signs on the side of the road to get to where we think our destination is?  How do we know if we are even on the right road?  These are all questions that parallel driving and our journey of faith.  We must be willing to acknowledge the road signs of life; before we drift so far off the road we cause damage to ourselves or others.

            As we move through the next few weeks at Refuge, our youth ministry at Faith UMC we will be discussing a series called Road Signs.  Here is a snapshot of this series:  “If you set your course in the wrong direction, you’ll end up in the wrong place every time.  No matter where you hope to end up, the road you choose matters.  The book of Proverbs gives us wisdom to help navigate the choices of life, because we know that each choice determines the direction of our lives.  And it’s our direction, not our intention that ultimately determines our destination.  Where are you heading?  What path are you on?”

            Over the next few weeks we will be journeying through this series looking at the road signs of life and providing our families with questions for discussion that connect to the lessons we are presenting their students.  Our hope is that you will join us on this journey as we seek to navigate the road of our lives laid out before us while seeking to be attentive to God’s directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment