Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Are You Capable of Being a Good Leader?-The Cataylst Leader

          Over the past few weeks I have been examining the central thoughts of a book entitled The Catalyst Leader by Brad Lomenick.  Through this work he outlines eight essentials for becoming a change maker (or great leader).  Brad has worked with countless young leaders and listened to the voices of several amazing leaders Brad has developed an understanding of some key qualities in the arena of leadership.

          The principles that Brad outlines begin with calling, authenticity, and passion in leadership.  He states that is necessary to know your calling in life in order to be a good leader.  Secondly, he explores the theme of authenticity which allows leaders the freedom to be themselves but also to be “real” with other people through admitting their mistakes, listening to feedback, and adjusting their approach.  Third, he explains the need for leaders to be passionately connected to God which will enhance their leadership.

This week I will continue exploring the contents of this book by looking at theme of being capable.  Have you ever wrestled with the thoughts “I can’t do this” or “Surely there is someone else far more qualified or capable to do this task”?  I’m sure this thought has entered the minds of several of you in the workforce.  Personally, I often struggle with the fear of failure or rejection that stems from relationships that I longed to develop back in middle school.  The rejection of others and constant heartache of feeling like a failure still has lingering effects on my leaderships almost two decades later.  But as you think about yourself, do you often times question if you are capable or qualified for the task that you will be fulfilling?

            If you are like me and question you own capability The Catalyst Leader provides a couple of guidelines necessary to leading capably.  The first guideline is that of setting the right standard which is excellence.  Early on in my ministry career I worked for a church that adopted the theme of “striving for excellence” in every area of our ministry.  I recall the stress that this placed on each of us as we thought about what it would look like to strive for excellence in everything that we did.  While it was a trying year for many of us, we pushed through and were able to create new ministries, enhance the ones we had, and disconnect those ministries that were no longer valuable or worthwhile.  This year taught me to strive for excellence, not perfection because we were free to make mistakes so long as we used them as a teaching tool for the future improvement of our individual ministries and the overall health of the church.

            The second guideline for capable leadership is the right staff.  This guideline was more challenging for me to learn because I was always under the impression that I could do a task more efficiently and effectively than anyone else.  My ideas were always the “gold nuggets” that everyone should use.  Basically, I was the lone ranger roaming the wilderness and trying to build my own ministry.  In hindsight I realized how foolish this approach to leadership was because not only were less and less people coming to be a part of the ministry I was serving but I was becoming more and more burnt out.  I remember taking a few months off from ministry and talking to some wonderful people who I trust dearly.  I recall the frustration that I felt, the pain in my heart, and the overall discouragement that almost caused me to walk away from ministry entirely.  However, their words still ring true in my approach today as they stressed the need to build a team (and encourage them frequently), the need to listen to others, and also the willingness to not take things personally when someone attacks or criticizes my ideas.  These insights forever altered my approach to ministry and I believe saved me and my family.

            While these are the two primary guidelines to being a capable leader, Brad also outlines some characteristics of capable leaders which are listed here:

·       Capable leaders constantly push forward-Surround yourself with people who spend more time dreaming about tomorrow’s possibilities than dwelling on yesterday’s failures.
·       Capable leaders are team players-Support each other constantly because in order to succeed you need confidence and you can’t have confidence without trust.
·       Capable leaders own their mistakes-Look for team members who can admit missteps without growing discouraged.
·       Capable leaders are willing to take risks-Surround yourself with people who will boldly step out even when it doesn’t make sense.
·       Capable leaders are constant learners-Capable leaders never stop growing and getting better.
·       Capable leaders aren’t entitled-The best leaders develop in the midst of action-doing, not just thinking or dreaming, or talking.
·       Capable leaders are anticipators-It’s imperative for leaders to figure out what the organization needs before anyone ever realizes it.
·       Capable leaders are persistent-They see things through and don’t give up.
·       Capable leaders are trustworthy-When they make a promise you don’t have to worry about follow-up.
·       Capable leaders deliver-Capable leaders get things done.

As you work through these questions in your mind or on paper remember that striving to become a capable leader is challenging and will take time.  If you encounter resistance along the way remember the words of author and speaker Donald Miller who said, “If what you are doing is important, you will encounter resistance.  If what you are doing isn’t important, it will be easy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment