Friday, October 19, 2012

Are They Just in the Background?


This past week our students continued in their series, The Invisibles.  This series examines the challenges that many of us have faced with feeling invisible at certain points of our lives, seeing others who may be invisible to us right now, and gaining an understanding that we have never been invisible to God.  Each week includes a discussion question/point that our parents and their students are encouraged to wrestle through together.  The second week’s discussion question reads as follows, “Who are some people that are consistently in the background scenery of your everyday life?”

Every day there are people who we walk past, bump into, or drive by in our cars who are invisible to us.  In my life I can think of several people who I have consistently put in the background of my life.  These were people who had a story to tell and life to share but for whatever reason I simply went past them without a second thought in my mind. 

However, there was one individual who stands out as the turning point for me noticing people that were in the background scenery of my life.  Before we moved to Ohio we were serving a church in Georgia and to get almost anywhere you had to take the interstate.  Every day we would get on and off the ramps to go to our house always seeing the same homeless man standing on the side of the road asking for money.  For several days we drove by ignoring him completely for whatever reason.  I recall using our children (who were two and three years old at the time), the face that we were running late, or several other reasons to drive by and ignore him.  However, one day our lives changed as my wife told me that she knew we needed to stop and help him.  We found ourselves going to the gas station buying him a sandwich and drink and getting a few dollars out of the ATM.  We drove back to him and dropped off the various items and started a discussion with him.  I remember that I didn’t catch his name or really anything about his story because I was so floored that he didn’t ask what kind of sandwich it was or what we got him to drink.  I found myself mulling over the idea that if I were in his position I would want to know the answers to those questions and then it happened.  I started wrestling with my own selfish feelings and realized that if I was in his situation I wouldn’t care what it was either but would rather be thankful for the gift of any passerby.  I realized that own my own selfish feelings were dictating the way that I was handling this situation and I have to admit that I felt more than a little embarrassed.  I realized that for several days we drove by this man simply because he was a part of the background scenery of our lives.  I have to admit that this act was initiated and carried out by my wife, but it caused me to start looking beyond my own little world.

A second occurrence of noticing those in the background scenery of our lives happened a few years ago when we were listening to a friend of ours deliver a sermon series from The Advent Conspiracy.  After hearing his words, we found ourselves revaluating our approach to Christmas.  We realized that there were several other people around the world who were so much worse off than we were and God grabbed our hearts to look for more ways to be involved in missions.  This wasn’t a guilt-trip series but rather a way for us to look at the impact that our small family could make in so-much-larger world.  This year during our advent season our students will be diving into this study with the opportunity to make an impact on the world.  You can find more information about this series by watching the video below.



So who are the people in the background scenery of your life?  Who are the people that you walk or drive by daily that simply need you to reach out?  As Christians, we should be the best at reaching out to others with the love of Christ, but we often times fall flat or falter with this.  What steps can you take today to start to remedy this situation in your own life?  Maybe it is simply giving a little money to someone in need or partnering with a charity/organization around the world to impact the life of someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment