Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Do We Underestimate God?

               I have often times wrestled with this thought, “Do we underestimate God?”  Throughout the Scriptures we read stories of how God guided, rescued, and protected His people in a variety of situations.  We see God’s hand at work in their lives to touch, restore, and heal their brokenness. 

However, when I look at our world today I see a place in desperate need of restoration.  I see a place that needs to experience the heart-gripping love of Jesus in a fresh way.  I have often times wondered what would happen if God did a modern day miracle and alleviated the hunger, poverty, brokenness, and shallowness of our world.  I mean He did it in the Bible so why not today?

I have talked to several students who have asked this very question as they search for their identity both as an individual and in Christ.  They question why if God loves us so much, that he wouldn’t heal our land (the whole world).  This is a challenging topic but some events of this past week have stirred up some encouragement for me.

First, one of our pastors preached a sermon on Sunday about our culture’s desire for self-gratification.  In the midst of that sermon she quoted a seminary professor who said, “Miracles don’t lead people to faith.  Miracles cause people to say … Do it again but slower!”  As I thought about the depth of this statement I began to realize that anything that I truly appreciate in life is something that I have worked for (many times through countless hours of sweat, tears, and pain).  Maybe the reason that God doesn’t instantly cure all of the problems of the world, is that He desires for us, His children, to understand the suffering and seek to invest in the problem to find a solution.  Maybe that is the miracle, for God’s children to work together to remedy the issues of the world. 

Second, I was blessed to serve alongside some amazing students and adults yesterday as we did some yard work for an elderly member of our church. As we were taking a break, she came out of her house to tell us that she was leaving for a doctor’s appointment and thanked us for our time.  She told us that she hasn’t been able to do the yard work because of her chemotherapy treatments that have been going on for some time.  She shared a little about her battle with cancer but smiled ever so gently and said “I’m going to beat this though.  I told the doctor’s when they diagnosed me that I was going to beat this because of my faith in God!”  I thought about her smile and words for the remainder of the day as she was hoping for a modern-day miracle.  She truly has extraordinary faith that can heal her!   

The third instance happened right after this elderly lady made her comment, which was a student who looked at her with tears in his eyes.  He simply replied to her, “Yes, you will beat it!”  As I thought about her faith and witness, she not only touched my heart but also the heart of this young man who supported her.  It wasn’t an empty comment to make her feel better but rather a genuine statement that miracles can still happen today.

Fourth, was a prayer request I received last night from a pastor who has played an important role in my life.  He is currently battling a sound bout with cancer, which he is praying for a miracle of healing.  He also found out recently that his first grandchild, scheduled to be delivered in December, has been diagnosed with spina bifada.  Despite his current situations, he is praying for two miracles. 

As I thought about these issues, I wondered, “Am I guilty of underestimating God and what He can do?  Do I truly believe that the miracles we read about in Scripture can still occur today?”  I challenge you to examine your own life to answer this question, “Do you underestimate God?  Or do you believe that the miracles of Scripture can still take place today?”  My hope and prayer is that you don't underestimate God but rather celebrate the ways He is at work in your life and the lives of those around you through modern-day miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment